This is my aunt's recipe, an adaptation of a Transylvanian dish made usually with mountain spinach (Atriplex hortensis) or green onion.
Here the filling is made with curly dock (Rumex crispus) -- a plant used mostly in Oltenian dishes --, and a touch of dill.
In the spring the same dish is made with a combo of curly dock, green onion, and dill; in wintertime greenhouse spinach and dill are used.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 600 g/20 oz flour
- 100 g/3 oz lard or margarine
- 25 g/1 oz yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for the filling:
- 600 g/20 oz curly dock
- 50 g/2 oz dill
- 400g/14 oz telemea cheese
- 2 eggs
1. We started by picking the curly dock...
2. Then we set about making the dough. In the image you can see the lard used.
3. Add all the ingredients for the dough. (Add the yeast after you have dissolved it first in a cup of lukewarm water.)
Knead well with a fork, and add water if needed. When it stops sticking to the bowl, it's done.
>4. Chop the curly dock as shown.
Thank you for stopping by!
If you'd like to stay posted of new pictures, recipes, and other TravelRomania news, send me an email
with "subscribe" in the subject line.