(Sweet Cheese Dumplings Rolled in Bread Crumbs and Sugar)
Here's a Transylvanian dish of papanaşi. Papanaşii are a traditional dessert all over the country,
but you will find them
mostly fried if you order them in restaurants (see photo #8). Here's the recipe for boiled papanasi.
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 500 g (approx. 1 lb ) farmer’s cheese
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp cream of wheat
- 5 tbsp bread crumbs
- 50 g olive oil
- 4 tbsp sugar
1. In a bowl mix the cheese, eggs, and cream of wheat.
2. With your hands covered in flour take cheese out of the bowl and squeeze to make balls some 5 cm (1 ½ in) in diameter. Place them on a dish.
3. Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, and add a pinch of salt. In a second pot or pan, heat the oil and pour the bread crumbs.
Stir until bread crumbs turn light brown, then turn the heat off and add the sugar.
4. Add the sugar and mix well.
>5. The papanasi in the other pot are finished boiling when they rise to the surface.
Remove them with the slotted spoon and roll them in the bread crumbs and sugar mix.
Thank you for stopping by!
If you'd like to stay posted of new pictures, recipes, and other TravelRomania news, send me an email
with "subscribe" in the subject line.